I was reading Motherlode, one of my regular reads. It was this post: "The Hypocrisy of Parenting" . I read it sadly. It was talking about the challenge of body image and girls. And these parents--women, wrote in about how to balance those issues, to create positive outcomes. I was also reading a blog post about how to deal with introverted children (on a blog about introverts). It also made me sad. My mom was horrible about body image and was already worrying and talking about my weight when I was skinny and knobby kneed. I never had a chance to love my body. It was always a bad thing. And adding to that, the fact that she was/is so oversexualized and uses it as a weapon has ruined things for me in so many different ways. There are so many consequences to her behavior that I have had to endure. And engage with.
She also never nurtured my personality. She hates and does not understand having an introverted daughter. She tried to crush my intelligence. She was jealous of my successes. She needed the support when things were challenging, but she has never had the capacity to appropriately support me. Ugh, it is really quite frustrating to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment